This morning, Flaherty & Hood Senior Lobbyist Scott McMahon took part in a roundtable discussion on the statewide child care crisis. McMahon works as the Executive Director for the Greater Minnesota Partnership (GMNP), a nonprofit corporation devoted to advocating for public policies and investments that stimulate prosperity throughout Greater Minnesota.
At the roundtable, Governor Walz and Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development (DEED) Commissioner Steve Grove announced further funding to expand access to affordable child care. This year, there were 17 projects awarded grant money from the DEED Child Care Economic Development Grant Program.
The 12 of the 17 projects are located in Greater Minnesota, including:
- Cook County and Grand Marais EDA, Grand Marais – $180,000
- Greater Bemidji, Bemidji – $200,000
- Jasmin Child Care and Preschool, Moorhead – $120,000
- Kandiyohi County and City of Willmar, Willmar – $200,000
- Nobles County, Worthington – $150,000
- Northwest Minnesota Foundation, Bemidji – $50,000
- Otter Tail County, Fergus Falls – $16,000
- Southern Minnesota Initiative Foundation, Owatonna – $200,000
McMahon remains resilient in his fight for GMNP’s legislative priorities as the 2023 session approaches, including increased funding for this effective grant program.